Fear Itself UDK (Master's Thesis)
Fear Itself is a five minute long single player survival horror level built in the UDK engine using assets from the game Kraven Manor. The level tells the story of Glenn, a man living alone in a big house who wakes up during the middle of the night during a thunder storm. The level explores survival horror design techniques to turn an ordinary situation into a scary experience, techniques such as changing the soundtrack’s intensity and volume to create anticipation, sound effects that play randomly throughout the level like glass breaking or an old house creaking and subtle lighting changes. Everything presented in a way that communicate to the player that there is someone inside the house but not necessarily a monster.
• Introduce different techniques that could be used in a full survival horror game
• Create a survival horror experience without using supernatural elements.
• Gradually change the volume and pitch of the soundtrack to create anticipation.
• Randomly play sound effects to help set the mood for the level.
• Use lightning to guide the player through the level.
Genre: Survival horror
Map Type: Single-Player Mission
Development Time: Ongoing project
Estimated Delivery Date: July 2014
The original soundtrack for this level was composed by Henrique Fajardo